The Burgajet Castle is located in the Mat valley in central Albania, surrounded by high mountain peaks which act as a natural defense from possible enemies, only eleven kilometers away from the city of Burrel.
Burgajet was an economic center of the Valley covering a large area of which has now become the commune of Lis. The village of Burgajet boasted over 600 homes, with the famous Zogolli Sarajet (castle) controlling the valley from above.
The Burgajet Castle’s name possibly comes from its Allamana origins meaning the "City of Life".
The Castle was burned three times by invades at the beginning of the 20th century and King Zog never was able to rebuild it before the fascist invasion of Albania in 1939. When the communists broke through the long fought royalist resistance the communist dictator ordered that the castle to be taken apart leaving the hill bare of any signs of its historical past. The marble stones of the castle where used to build the sidewalks of the city of Burrel.
The Royal family have since rebuilt and protected the grave of Xhemal Pasha Zogu (King Zogs father) and have future intentions of building a small museum. The Royal family is very much involved in supporting local government projects in the area and are grateful of any assistance that donors are willing to give to the local community, especially for the local schools.
Tirana Royal Residence:
The residence was built by King Zog in 1929, designed by an Austrian architect. It is currently the Main residence of the Albanian Royal Family located in the centre of Tirana. The residence has a complex architectural design and exceptional beauty. Its mosaics and original floorings still exist after 50 years of neglect during the communist era. The Residence was returned to the Albanian Royal Family in 2006.
The Mausoleum of the Albanian Royal family:
On 30th December 1935 was inaugurated here the Mausoleum of Queen Mother Sadie. The original Mausoleum was a creation of architect Qemal Butka and was destroyed by the communists on 17th November 1944.
The New Mausoleum was rebuilt, as a modern replica of the original Mausoleum, on decision of the Albanian Government and was inaugurated on 17th November 2012 for the 100th Anniversary of the Independence of Albania to accommodate the remains of Queen Mother Sadie, King Zog, Queen Geraldine, King Leka, Queen Susan and other members of the Albanian Royal Family.
This Mausoleum represents the religious harmony, tolerance and coexistence which characterize the Albanian people.
King Zogs Durres Palace: (Villa of Zog).
Build in 1927, as a personal gift to HM King Zog I, by the business community of Durres as a sign of respect and prosperity. Build in a form of an eagle, the villa was constructed on the highest point of the port city of Durres, overlooking the city and peering towards Italy. It is most famous for its Blue marble and large ballroom. Although horribly damaged during the 1997 riots, it remains a symbol the heritage of the city of Durres. With over two thousand newly married couples visiting it as a sign of good luck yearly.
Royal Villa in Shirok
On the shore of Lake Shkoder surrounded by tall pines is placed the famous villa of Shirok. Like the Palace in Durres this villa was given to King Zog as a gift and a sign of prosperity by the merchants of Shkoder. King Zog was known to have stayed only once in the villa because of security problems due to its proximity to the Montenegrin border, formerly Yugoslavia. This villa is considered a prized jewel as it has remained a symbol of the Monarchy throughout the communist era.
In 1997 during the pyramid scandal uprisings it was unfortunately vandalised and damaged. The Royal family are currently seeking its return through the lands commission and the Courts.
New Royal Palace, known as the Palace of Brigades:
New Royal Palace (or as called the Palace of Brigades) was financed personally by the Royal Family in 1936. The Royal Family never settled in Palace as planned after the birth the Crown Prince, due to the fascist aggression of April 7 1939. It is located in the periphery of Tirana. Currently this palace is used as a governmental protocol residence